A man working inside a steel chemical storage tank undergoing maintenance at a worksite in Victoria, Australia, is believed to have been intoxicated by fumes.
Health and safety officials are investigating the death, which happened in August.
John Merritt, the executive director of Worksafe Victoria, an agency responsible for safety programmes at work, says the man's death shows the dangers of working in confined spaces.
'Limited means of entry and exit, poor ventilation and the presence of toxic gases and vapours all pose serious risks to workers in confined spaces,' Merritt says. 'It's not uncommon for incidents to result in multiple fatalities because other workers who are unaware of the risks, or who are attempting a rescue, can also be overcome by toxic vapours or gases.'